Eventuality

A blog that is sometimes frequently updated, and sometimes abandoned completely, from an aspiring writer and professional procrastinator.

March 28, 2004

The Hardest Music To Enjoy Is That Which You Create


So what have I been up to since the dullness of last Sunday? Why, more dullness, of course. However this week's dullness was interrupted by a small amount of music. Ok, a hellish amount of music.

As you all know, or do now, I was really nervous 'bout my solo. Mainly because I can't play it as good as I should be able to. But then Thursday afternoon, my band director just suddenly informs me, two days before contest, "You're playing unaccompannied."

What?

It looks a lot better at Contest if you're playing with piano. It's a bigger challenge, when you have to play in tune with the accompanist, and I think--we never did find out, come to think of it--it's impossible to go to state without one. Not that I thought I would. I just thought it'd be nice to be able to.

So Thursday night I went to piano lessons with Dawn and Lauren, 'cause they said that Mrs. Walby would play my accompany part. So we went through it--the first time she'd ever played it, and it was way better than Mrs. Degenhardt's version. But two days before the contest is not the time to be looking for the first time.

On the bright side, going to the lesson (which wasn't really a lesson, as neither of them really did a lot of piano playing) was really fun. =D Dawn screamed in the car when lightning struck, which was fun. Almost makes me wish I could go with 'em next week, too.

So Saturday rolls around. Day of performance. Morning time I'm stressing out. Sort of. Trying not to think about how horrible my solo'll be. I watched a few others, and before I knew it, 'twas time to play Rhapsody. Second time EVER playing it with Mrs. Walby on piano. We made it through. I didn't even have to stop. =D It was weird,though. I swear, I was thinking something and then my fingers were doing their thing completely independently, because whenever I thought about hitting those notes before, I screwed up. I still screwed up, 'course, but not as badly. Then I got to face...dun dun dun...the judge.

There are two types of judges at Contest. Accuracy judges, and expression judges. You can't please both. Problem is, you never know what kind you'll get. Mine was a hardcore expression judge. He marked everything excellent on my sheet--including accuracy, which proves he wasn't an accuracy judge, because I messed up a lot--except for Expression, which was just a measly "good." The "good" that kept me from going to state. Which is good, because I really didn't want to have to go and play again...heheh. But still. It's a little aggrivating, and yet I don't really care. I got a first. =D Which was more than I expected. Honestly, if I'd had another week (or started earlier..<.< >.>...) I think I could've gone to state. And maybe actually been confident. Or a little more confident. I couldn't possibly have been less confident then I was. ^^;;

According to my judge, tho', my piece would be an excellent song to play to my girlfriend, if I had one. Quite romantic. *nodnod* There's one part that I really like that I think I'm going to try recording and posting a sample of, so you poor people have to listen too.

Another good thing--most of the stuff the judge mentioned, I noticed while I played. 'Cept the expression stuff. He went really into that. But I couldn't do any of that stuff 'cause it was only my second time. ;-;

Ahh, well. I did good, and Lauren and John are each going to state. Twice apiece. Both for their solos, (John singing, Lauren on French Horn) and their trio (including Dawn! ^^) got a *1 too.

It's weird how seriously I took this this year. Usually it's all, "ehh, it's just another contest." This year I either really liked my song, or maybe I'm starting to take playing music seriously. Yes! Me, serious. I can't believe it either.

Speaking of being serious about music.

Why can't I play something this pretty? ;-;


Soundtrack:
My Own Prison -- Creed
Hyperlink (Deep Down) -- Eiffel 65
Counting Blue Cars -- Dishwalla
My Friend So Long -- DC Talk

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home