Eventuality

A blog that is sometimes frequently updated, and sometimes abandoned completely, from an aspiring writer and professional procrastinator.

July 28, 2008

I turn 21 on Wednesday and I don't really know how I plan on celebrating, although I plan to enjoy a little vacation in my summer vacation and take the rest of the week off work. Then this weekend will be Warped Tour for my third time attending (after skipping last year). This year's line-up worries me, though. For every band that I'm excited about seeing (Anberlin, Angels and Airwaves, Relient K, Reel Big Fish, The Classic Crime) there are acts that make me want to avoid going altogether out of fear that I would be spotted by them (Katy Perry, Everytime I Die, Katy Perry, Family Force 5, Katy Perry) and in general it seems that the line-up slips a little more downhill every year. For a while, Warped Tour was just a cool way to see your favorite bands and other bands that had similar sounds/ideals. And even then, it was at best a thinly-veiled moneymaker. Now, it's largely made up of either bands who wanted to get in on the tour to increase their fanbase (not altogether a bad thing) or bands that have a big enough fanbase that they will draw crowds (Angels and Airwaves) regardless of how they fit in the the others (Katy Perry).

More disappointing? Our group doesn't have the time to dedicate more than a day to the trip, which means no Chicago lakehouse. We're going to Minneapolis instead.

Still, it remains one of the best festivals around for the price. It's just too bad it will never really regain its former glory.

Did I mention it's my birthday? Wednesday? And that I spent all my money on an iPod Touch and that cash is always a good gift?

Just making sure.

1 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I FORGOT THAT FAMILY FORCE FIVE WAS THERE!!! I love them. Seriously. they are not that bad. I am dragging you with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home